The History of Barolo


The History of Barolo

The name “Barolo” probably came from the Celtic language "bas reul" that means "low area". Geographically speaking, the town is visible in a lower position compared to the surrounding cities, and almost seems to close the end of the valley.

Barolo’s most striking feature is the Falletti Castle from the tenth century that was owned by the Falletti family, prosperous landowners in this region, since 1250. Today the castle houses the “Museo del Vino”, the Wine Museum.

The Marquise, Giulia Colbert Falletti, together with Camillo Benso di Cavour and King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoy are credited with inventing Barolo in 1845. They followed the Staglieno Method and the recommendations of French enologist Louis Oudart.

Barolo and the wine

Since this time, Barolo has been considered the wine of kings and the king of wines, and is the most noble and powerful expression of the Nebbiolo variety.

The Barolo territory and its production regulations established with DOC (Controlled Designation of Origin for Barolo wines) in 1966 and was granted to DOCG status in 1980 and includes 11 municipalities: Barolo, Monforte d’Alba, Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga d’Alba, La Morra, Grinzane Cavour, Diano d’Alba, Novello, Verduno, Cherasco and Roddi.

Your browser is not supported