The name Barbaresco comes from the term "Barbarica silva" that indicates an undeveloped forest area that runs along the Tanaro river that was used by the Ligurians to escape Roman colonization under the Emperor Augusto.
With the passing of time, the forest area became hillside farming land which locals referred to as "Bric" (meaning the summit of a hillside) a term that was taken from the ancient Celtic language.
Barbaresco's characteristic tower was part of a fortified complex built in the twelfth century to defend the small village from its enemies, historically the towns of Alba and Asti fought for its dominance.
Barbaresco's history goes back to 1894 when Domizio Cavazza, headmaster of the Royal Enological School of Alba, dedicated his passions and efforts to crafting this wine. Production regulations and territorial criteria were established with DOC status in 1966 and DOCG status in 1980 that includes the cities of Barbaresco, Treiso, Neive and Alba.
Ever since it was first bottled, Barbaresco has always accompanied Barolo as one of the most noble and elegant expressions of Nebbiolo.